2009 Labyrinth of Jareth Dress
I have been wanting to make something new for Labyrinth for my husband and I and this was the year as I didnt work at SF Opera this year. The down turn has caused a lot of cut backs and only the smallest core of people have a job with the summer this year. I decided several years ago to make myself the dress from the 2005 flier and to make my husband the outfit from the 2006 flier. I didnt like what the girl in the 2006 flier was wearing and the 2005 dress seemed like a good fit. The only major way I departed from the original design was in color. My husband's coat ended up teal instead of green so my dress I also made in teal rather than green. I look awful in green anyway. I also took some liberties with the skirt. Only the top of the skirt is pictured so I was free to do what I wanted with the rest. I decided that as a practical matter, I was going to get really board of caring the mask at some point during the evening so I took advantage of the blank space and made the mask the focal point of the skirt. See image #3. The bodice is two tone in satin and lightly boned with antique bronze grommets with ribbon lacing up the back. Satin is about the worst fabric to make a bodice in because its hard to get to lay smooth but I did it anyway because I wanted to use the double sided satin for the skirt. All of the embroidery on the stomacher, sleeves and skirt are done free hand on my embroidery machine in a two tone copper & gold. The sleeves took by far the largest portion of time. I think it took me a day just to figure out the right combination of the overlays on the upper sleeve and the negative space though which you see the under sleeve. It also took me a few days to work out and execute the lower hanging sleeve. In the drawing the gold stitching on the lower sleeve is a simple pattern of graduated diamonds but in order to translate that into a 3 dimensional garment I had to work out a very complicated curving pattern and then spend many hours stitching in the gold lines. Several of the fabrics I was able to use scraps out of the remnants at various fabric stores but almost all of the material was new except for the beads on the sleeve that came from a beaded curtain tassel I bought at a garage sale. See also the 2009 Labyrinth of Jareth Hair Ornament and the 2009 Labyrinth of Jareth Suit, worn by my husband.